When I first started my creative career, I realized quickly that it was difficult to explain exactly what I do. It’s awkward to refer to myself as a multi-disciplinary artist (writer/musician/actor/artist), especially when that doesn’t encompass everything that my career includes. It’s easier and quicker to say that I’m a Professional Bohemian. It sums up everything I do because basically it’s my business to live an artistic life.
following an occupation as a means of livelihood…
a person, as an artist or writer, who lives and acts free of regard for conventional rules and practices.
But every once in a while, I’m asked what a Professional Bohemian is. So here is a little break-down of some of the things that I do:
- I run a national arts website/community and online magazine.
- I write — mostly poetry, fiction, articles, blog posts.
- I create art — collages as well as the occasional photography.
- I act and perform.
- I write music and sing.
- I read. A lot. I read books, magazines, and blogs.
- I watch films, movies, TV, and documentaries.
- I visit art galleries and museums.
- I attend events — readings, launches, concerts, performances, plays, workshops, conferences, festivals.
- I network and make connections for myself and others.
- I research. I study.
Sound fun? It is! It’s also a lot of hard work and there are a lot of sacrifices to be made to live a bohemian life…especially if you also want to make it your career.
It’s not for everyone…but it sure is for me!